Saturday, June 7, 2008

Another Day, Another Dollar, or Quetzal

Another full day, a day full of laughter, tears, hope, destitution, sickness, and many many many thoughts of why. How could this be happening in our world where we live? Guatemala is beautiful, yes, but completely impoverished. Today we visited with Sharon two homes where we watched them install new stoves, which is something that is extremely important to the well-being of a family in Guatemala. One family of five children and a mother had lost their father 6 years ago because he had drank himself to death and now they were living on corn tortillas and salt and living in absolutely squalid conditions. Just one example of the poverty here...just one.

We did a lot of shopping today as well, and I was able to almost spend all of my money! ha. It is hard to keep track of your money, which is Quetzales down here and about a 7.3 exchange rate, because it feels like play money and the concept of how much American money you are spending is almost transparent. But it is all going to people who truly need it and it is really kind of fun bartering and I am getting pretty good at it. Once you start walking away, their price suddenly drops 20Q. I was able to purchase a quilt made out of Guatemalan traditional clothing for 300Q, the equivalent of $40. Quite a deal if you ask me, and an absolutely beautiful work of art.

I love you all and can't wait to share all of my experiences with you in person, when I am able to relay things with the help of pictures and my audible voice. Only 2 more full days here, but my concept of time is so skewed that almost means nothing to me! Tomorrow we are sight-seeing with a friend from Mayan Families, Samuel, a fabulous new friend and like a big brother to us. He speaks a little English and I speak a little Spanish so we have been able to help each other out a lot and learn from each other. We might be going down a zip line in the mountains so pray for my life! I am excited and need to go to the ATM. :) Anyway, I will post tomorrow. Thank you for your comments. I love hearing from you!
peace,
Louisa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the question isn't it: Why should there be such conditions in our bountiful world? I keep thinking about the dire need for shoes. What would it take to train some of the folk how to make shoes and locate and initially provide materials for them to make shoes? What would it tske to lead them into developing their own economy? What gets in the way? I bet you will think about the need for shoes every time you buy another pair of shoes from now on. All these experiences will sit in your minds and hearts and lead you all to prayerfully consider ways to respond with the love of God. Peace, Dad and Pastor Joseph