Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sligo

We made it to Sligo! We arrived last night and had a group dinner at the hotel. Here is a story for you... I washed my jeans in the bathtub and then needed a place to let them dry. We have radiator heaters in our rooms, so my roommate suggested that I hang one pair on the radiator to help the drying process. So I did. We went along our merry way and went to bed. I was almost asleep when there was a great deal of persistant knocking on our door, which I ignored, followed by a turn of the key and an opening of our door. The time was 1am. A man's voice asked if we were alright and apologized and said that something was telling him there was a fire coming from our room. I was so confused, and have to admit, at first a little wary that it was just some freak that was going to do something freaky to us. After I finally realized that he was harmless, I turned on the light by my bed and got up. He then clarified that an alarm had gone off downstairs indicating that there was a fire in our room. A sensor picks up the smell of a fire and then must set something off. I was frantic, and then realized that it must be my jeans on the radiator. Sure enough, I took them off and quickly was sure by their heat, that it must be that. My roommate was still sleeping. He was hard to understand, but he asked me to open the window and left the room. I didn't know how to open the window and I didn't think it was a big deal so I didn't open the window and got back in bed. A few minutes later, he knocked again and I went to the door. He insisted that I open the window because of the alarm, so he came in and did it for me. My roommate then woke up. The man was so nice about it and said it was a good story to bring home to the States. I had to agree, and wanted to laugh about it, but my roommate was not amused. So lame. Anyway, problem averted, I went back to bed. This morning, so many of my classmates were asking about the fire alarm last night! So embarrassing! hahahaha They didn't leave or anything, but many of them heard it and woke up because of it. So, moral of the story is, don't leave your jeans on the radiator. Whoops....
Today we had a walking tour of Sligo, which is really a quaint little city. It is smaller than Galway and a lot less touristy. It is beautiful. We met Michael Quirke today, who I will have to tell you all about later. He is such such such a delightful man. It was a priceless experience, and one of my favorites so far. Tomorrow is tours and whatnot. I will try to post then! I love you all so dearly and think of you constantly. I wish we could all have this experience together! You would all love Ireland so much. Love and kisses,
Louisa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Louisa of the "smokin' jeans"...certainly there is a new nickname in the works here! I was afraid you were going to say the jeans actually burned! I've dried many an item on radiators through the years. It still works!

Glad everything is going so well and eager to hear all your stories. We all miss you too!

Anonymous said...

I dried all my clothes on radiators the whole time I was there too, and nothing ever happened, lucky you. Patrick and I were talking about Ireland today and how much we miss it!! He told me you would be meeting Big John McCormick in Derry, so when you do tell him hi from Clarissa, the girl from last year who almost lost all of her pictures! Miss you lovely!! :)

The Carters said...

Louisa
Vanessa sent me the address to your blog. It sounds like you are doing some amazing things, good for you! I hope you enjoy your trip and hope that you post picutres for all of us to see!

Corinne

Little Jo said...

I went to website for Sligo and did a pictorial tour. Beautiful, quaint! That statue of Yeats is most interesting. Did he look like that? Could just imagine you walking around and enjoying the scenery: water, mountains, and a stop sign on the left side oi the street. Miss you, but glad you are expamdimg your understanding and appreciation of Ireland.