Monday, January 12, 2009

Londonderry

Hello once again! Sorry it has been a few days, I hope no one was worried. We made it to Londonderry, which is more commonly known as Derry, last night. We are having many troubles with phone cards here, though, and thus, I was unable to call to let anyone know that I was alright. It looks like the internet may be my only option for communication until Thursday when we go to Dublin. The problems are due to the fact that we are now technically in the UK since Northern Ireland is not a part of the Republic of Ireland. Which brings me to a bit about Derry...this town has so much history when it comes to conflict. It is one of the last walled cities in all of Europe and IS the last walled city in all of Ireland. We took a walking tour of the city, following the wall, with a man affectionately known as Big John. He is a former member of the IRA turned peace activist and truly a phenomenal man. He perhaps has a more interesting experience than anyone here, although everyone native to Derry has some experience with the bloody conflicts that have ensued in this area up until 1972. There is still much controversy, but the violence has subsided, even if it was only up until 10 years ago. We went to the Bloody Sunday memorials today, as well as to the museum, after hearing Big John's firsthand account of his experience on the day. He walked us through the motions he went through, pointing out where people that he knew were shot and killed. Needless to say, it was quite an emotional day. We are all drained. I have so many more things to say about this and the history behind Derry, but I will elaborate upon my return home. I have talked about it enough today and still have to tell you about our experiences on Saturday before leaving Sligo.
Saturday was our first experience with unfavorable weather. It was a wonderful day regardless, though, as we still proceeded with our plans as usual. Our first stop was Glen-Car, a gorgeous waterfall in the middle of the countryside, one that I am certain is home to thousands of faeries. :) It is a waterfall that Yeats frequented and wrote about in one of my favorite poems, "The Stolen Child":
Where the wandering water gushes
From the hills about Glen-Car,
In pools among the rushes
That scarce could bathe a star....
Anyway, I loved it at Glen-Car. How inspiring to think of Yeats absorbing the beauty just as I did, letting the feeling of the scenery wash over him and cleanse his soul with peace.
Then it was on to Knocknarea. The weather had started to worsen with rain and some wind. Undeterred, we began our trek up the mountain, raincoats, ponchos, and boots at the ready. The rain wasn't heavy, but enough to make for a bit of a wet start. Queen Maive waited for us at the top, and the legend is that she is there protecting her people and if you bring a stone to the pile, she will wish you well. The wind picked up substantially with the climb, and before long we found ourselves looking behind ourselves to the landmarks below through sheets of rain moving horizontally left to right at rocket speeds. No turning back! The incline continued as it became harder and harder to walk straight due to the galeforce winds. We made it, and I was able to throw up my stones to Maive. I have never in my life, however, been in such weather. The winds had to be blowing at rates up to 70mph, and that is not an understatement. We were all soaked and could not even hear each other through the winds and pelting rain. I am so amazed with myself for doing what I did, and would not change the experience for anything. Words cannot even describe the weather and the feelings I was feeling at the top of that mountain. The walk back down was terribly wet and slippery, but we all made it safely. I definitely realized that enjoying the challenge is much more satisfying than complaining about it, and I am determined to remember that for all my days to come. Take hold of life and go with it, I am not going to miss out anything again. It was so worth the struggle.
Well I love you all and will do my best to update frequently. It was £3 for this thirty minutes, so you can understand when I say that things are expensive here! I love you and miss you all greatly. A week from this Thursday I will be home!
Louisa

4 comments:

BSH said...

Wow, that climb certainly sounds trying. Way to go for sticking through it!
I can imagine your difficulties in England - it is atrocious how many dollars go into a single pound.
Lady says "hi" and can't waited to be razzed from you soon!
I hope you call me when it is easier to call, I miss you!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Louisa - what a great posting. What a great experience. Thanks for sharing and taking us along with you.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to think of you battling that wind and rain on the mountain. My motherly instincts kick in and I get worried after the fact. However, learning that the rising to the challenge is what gives meaning and even beauty to our lives is worth the treacherous experience for sure.

Then to be able to learn from Big John what that bloody conflict was like...you are really getting an education that could be gotten no other way. I think of the violence going on in the Gaza Strip now...there has to be another way found to bring peace.

Hope all continues well and you keep on enjoying, learning, and meeting challenges...including the the challenge of turning dollars into euros. Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Lady it sounds fabulous!!!! Oh Derry, i miss it already, tell Big John i say hi!! :) miss you!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!