Sunday, January 4, 2009

Aran Islands

Today was QUITE the day to say the least. We headed to the Aran Islands by ferry, and after 45 minutes we made it to the biggest of the three, the name of which I am having trouble recalling at the moment. Beautiful ride across the Atlantic and the sun came out which rarely happens this time of year. Once at the island we rented bikes and rode 5 miles to DunAngus (phonetical spelling for sure haha). The ride was so beautiful, but so hard. Oh my gosh! My back tire started to go flat about halfway and thus the pedaling became even more difficult. It was worth the trip though once we got to DunAngus. It is a prehistoric rock formation on the top of a huge cliff that drops straight down into the Atlantic. GORGEOUS and powerful and I got great pictures, but they won't even do justice to the experience. We then had to ride back 5 more miles (oh my god, I was about to die, I swear) but this time we took the coastal road that runs alongside the sea. We saw seals and swans and it was absolutely stunning. My legs were screaming at me! Class tomorrow and a leisurely day. We will have to recover our legs from the bike adventure. I love you and will update soon!!
Louisa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day (minus the aching legs!) Can't wait to see the pictures.

BSH said...

Wow, I empathize with the biking situation, was it very hilly? But biking is a great way to really feel a part of your travels - at a price of course...

Seals AND swans? So amazing. Were the swans terribly large? Were you nervous? (Remember geese incident?) I would have been nervous... swans are supposedly some bad ass birds.

Unknown said...

Wow! You had to work for some beauty. Always pack an extra tire pump!

Anonymous said...

Good morning - I'm following your program and I see the path from Galway-Sligo but I couldn't find Castlebar. Hope you are having a delightful lunch. From the map it doesn't look like you will be by the sea for lunch but you will be for dinner. All is well here. Nice day today but getting colder. Luv C

Anonymous said...

biking in Ireland...it must have been gorgeous, and just think, you won't remember your aching legs for long i hope!! :) miss you much!!