Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Another Phenomenal Day

Hello again! We found our way to the Derry Library and are able to have 30 minutes on the computers for only £1.50, so hooray! Any way to save money is grand in my opinion.
Today was another gorgeous day. We have been so lucky with the weather (for the most part), and today was no exception. The sun came out as we drove to Daugh Island, a place in County Donegal that is absolutely phenomenal. We explored the Atlantic coast thoroughly, enjoying being able to take off our coats and the fantastic sunshine. There was a cave and so many beautiful rocks. Oh, it was glorious. This was on our way to Malin Head, the Northernmost point of Ireland, that was nothing short of breathtaking as well. The water of the sea crashed upon the rocks and out along the horizon we saw a rainbow. It was absolutely perfect. We also drove through Greencastle, the place where Brian Friel (Irish playwright) lives, taking advantage of watching an amazing sunset over the Atlantic. It was such a grand day. Last night we found a great little pub called Peder O'Donnells with live music and great company. The people of Derry are so kind and lovely to talk with. Big John came with us, as did a group of three American girls visiting from Virginia. It was a lot of fun. Tonight we are all pretty tired and have to read Friel's Freedom of the City by tomorrow morning when we go the Guildhall where the play takes place. We are going to meet the Mayor of Derry! We are all looking forward to the day with Big John. Nothing really else to report other than I love you all and am sorry again for not being able to call. We were going to buy a card for £5 and share it, but the store where they are selling them is already closed for the night and by the time we get it tomorrow, it would just be smarter to wait until Dublin to make any calls. I miss you and am starting to really look forward to my travels taking me back home. Love love love,
Louisa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love,love,love right back at you sweetie.We all miss you too but I also wish I could have the experiences that you are having.Enjoy every minute,you will be home soon!We have a lead on a photographer but will wait for you to get home to pursue. C

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had a great day with sunshine and a rainbow and the ocean to offset the wet and windy experience. Not to worry about calling, as long as we have your great blog we are fine. Johanna and neighbor Bev are following your in Ireland as well and appreciate your writing. We miss you too, but all is well here...just cold and snowy. Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

i remember going to that library to use the computers, and the guildhall, so cool!! :)

Anonymous said...

Temp this a.m. -6 Wind chill -23
Forcast actual temp for tonight -22.Have a GREAT day in Derry!! LUV C

BSH said...

Damn phone cards! I miss you! I actually wrote about how much I miss you in my French Placement exam. "Ma soeur visite l'Irlande et je la manque beaucoup!"* I've been eating a lot of popcorn, so I hope through our sisterly connection you can taste it. I also went shopping for a new pair of pants and ended up buying a pair of shoes when I have enough.
You sound like you are having an incredible time, I can't wait to hear more about Big John and Derry. Is that where they still have some signs in Gaelic? And the mayor of Derry? You guys are really squeezing every last drop of a remarkable trip to Ireland. I can't wait to see the pictures!

*My sister is visiting Ireland and I miss her very much!

Anonymous said...

You come back a week from today!!!